Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Poo On You

Moose told me he needed to go potty today.

Then I freaked out. I had not prepared for this at all. I came into the kitchen, and he had pulled his sweatpants down to his ankles, and said, "Potty! Potty!".

So I promptly picked him up and held him out, kind of like a bomb that was to explode at any moment, and carried him, uh-where? What now? No idea!! CORY HELP ME!

Cory calmly replied from the couch in the living room that we couldn't do anything, that we didn't have a potty.

Oh he doesn't know what he's talking about-geez, what am I supposed to do?? I'll just set him on the toilet, that will be fine, right?

So I pull his pants back up, lift him over the gate, and he runs to the bathroom. Then, he tries to lift the lid of the toilet. I yell at Cory to PLEASE HELP ME I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO GETINHERERIGHTNOW!

I take off his pants, and his diaper, and set him on the toilet.

And then I see what Cory was talking about.

Let's just say that the pee would not have gone in the toilet. It would have gone... into my lap.

Oh.

I put his diaper back on, which he fights, and saying the whole time, "NO Potty! NO Potty!" After which, we went back into the living room and he happily sat in my lap and watched the Simpsons with Cory and I.

Soooo-? Is he ready to potty train? He didn't pee at all, even later when I put his PJs on, the diaper was not wet, so it doesn't seem like he had to "go" at all. I promptly consulted with my best friend in parenting-Google. And unfortunately there is no magic answer, either they are ready or they aren't. He is about the "right" age, however, he doesn't ever tell me that he peepeed or poopooed, and the websites mentioned that that was a big sign.

I am worried I am going to buy a potty and start pushing him towards this, and he won't really be ready. A part of me wonders if seeing some of the other kids at daycare doing the potty thing inspired him. (I have no doubt that it will actually help us in the long run) I don't want to push him, some of the websites said if you push them too early then it backfires.

I must be totally honest: the thought of Moose being potty trained is extremely attractive. I can just imagine myself shopping with him, with just like, my purse AND NO DIAPER BAG. How great does that sound? Oh well, I know it is in the future. I don't want to rush it.

Does anyone have potty training advice for me? Do you think it is too early? I know only Moose can make the decision, but I don't know what to do right now! Let me know what you think, I would really appreciate advice!!