Sunday, February 24, 2008

Domestic Goddess Tips

Back on track this week, with my whole family to accompany me to the grocery store. I built my meal plan this week mainly from the meat I already had in my freezer, due to the deals I found last week on frozen chicken, and the buy-one-get-one-free deals from a few weeks ago. I also found a few side dish deals last week that I stocked up on, for instance Moose's favorite brand of macaroni and cheese was 3 for $5. So we are having that as a side in one of our dinners.

My tip this week is about buying in bulk. Some of the necessary items that most of us are required to purchase include cleaning products. I don't need them every week, but it seems that when I do need them, they all run out at the same time! It turns into a large chunk of the bill if we run out of tub cleaner, all-purpose spray, and toilet cleaner all in the same week. One solution is to make sure you only buy one cleaning item per week (before you run out!), therefore splitting the purchase over a couple weeks instead of one big blow.

Another solution is to buy the big "refill" option. Most of the cleaning products we use offer a large version that is cheaper per ounce. You just refill your spray bottle as needed. A super bonus is when you find that refill bottle on sale. Yet another reason to pay attention to sales either on the online flier or while you are in the store. I prefer the online flier, because we don't necessarily go down aisles if we don't have something on the list from that aisle.

Our total bill this week, for our family of three was $62. This included three cleaning products (two of them the refill variety, on sale), dog food, and deodorant. Plus, we allowed ourselves each a little treat this week, with me getting my fav Cadbury Eggs, and Cory picking out a Pina Colada juice. Having the extra meat in our fridge, and a few extras I picked up on sale, really made a large difference for us.

Pork Chops were on sale last week, so I picked up a package of four. Luckily, with our family of three, that will make us two meals. Moose and I split the large one, and Cory has his own (with sides, it is enough food). My friend Em sent me a wonderful recipe that I tried on Friday, and I thought I would share it with you.

Oven-fried Pork Loin
4 pork loins (I used two)
2 Tbsp margarine or butter, melted (always use butter!)
1 egg
2 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup herb-flavored stuffing mix (I used the Stove Top chicken flavor, it was on sale)
Trim fat from the meat. Put melted butter into 13x9 baking pan. Mix egg, milk and pepper. Dip meat in the egg mixture then into the stuffing mix. Place in baking pan. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Flip meat and bake for 10 more minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
I used my stoneware baker, as did Emily. We both found that this recipe was very good, moist, and flavorful with the stuffing mix breading. I served it with peas and macaroni and cheese.