Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Health update...

About a year ago I found an odd looking mole, of all places, on my scalp. It is about an inch in, right where I would part my hair, if I parted it on that side. My hair stylist rediscovered it and told me I should have it looked at.
So I made an appointment at my dermatologist to have it removed. Back in May, I went in and my dermatologist shaved it off with a razor blade. She told me kind of off handedly that they would get back to me with any results, as they had to send it off to be tested.
I kind of forgot about it at that point. I have had another mole removed before, that was on the top of my foot, it looked like I had dripped chocolate ice cream on my foot in a perfect drop. It had turned out to be nothing, why would this?
Well, about a week later, I got a call from my dermatologist’s secretary.
They had found some "atypical cells that may or may not be cancerous". So-I was being transferred to the surgery center to have the rest of it removed, and tested for skin cancer.
My surgery is scheduled for today at 2PM. I have known about this for a while, but I didn’t want everyone else to worry, so I haven’t told very many people.
As most of you know, I have been fanatical about sunscreen since I had Wes, mainly because of the sun spots that popped up during my pregnancy. But mostly because of the whole skin cancer/wrinkles thing. Not getting any younger over here, you know?
I should get the results back from my surgery by Friday, according to the nurse I spoke with. So I am planning on posting those results on Friday for all of you.
I have absolutely no idea how much they are cutting out of my head. I’m sure they will be sensitive to the fact that the spot is so close to my face. I don’t want a huge scar on my head, but I don’t want to die from skin cancer either, you know?
I wish I had taken a picture of the mole to start with, but I didn’t. I did have Cory take a pic of my head this morning, and as long as it’s not gross, I’ll take a picture after the surgery. I do know that my head will be bandaged for a few days, I’m not sure to what extent.
So good thoughts and prayers please! I’ll do my best to keep you updated!
Thanks everyone!!