Saturday, April 26, 2008

In My Infinite Wisdom

I had my wisdom teeth out on Tuesday. I've known they should come out for a while, they have been impacted for about a year now.

About two months ago, the pain in my upper left jaw was so intense, I thought the root canal I had last summer had become infected. So when my dentist agreed with me, I went to see a root canal specialist to see about fixing or re-doing the root canal. Turned out the root canal was just fine.

It was my wisdom teeth. They were making their presence known, my shoving all of my teeth together. So much so, that my mouth guard I sleep in was tighter each night.

So I went to see an oral surgeon about having my wisdom teeth removed. He agreed they needed to be removed, so I scheduled the surgery for last Tuesday.

Cory and I arrived at the office on Tuesday, they immediately took me back, gave me laughing gas, started my IV, and gave me "something to help me relax" then by the magic of painkillers, I woke up to find the surgery done, and Cory coaxing me into a wheelchair.

I don't remember much after that. I don't remember the drive home, getting inside, or into bed. But I do remember waking up every half hour or so, when Cory came in to check on me, re-situate the ice packs, and give me pain meds.

After a few hours of sleep, he came in to give me medicine, and I woke up starving. So Cory helped me into the living room to sit on the couch, so he could help me eat some applesauce.

As I was sitting on the couch, with the bowl of applesauce, and glass of juice, I started to feel funny. I told Cory to take the juice so I didn't spill it. Which he did.

Then the heat and blackness took over. I couldn't move, and it felt like there was pressure all over my body. I woke up several minutes later laid out on the couch, with Cory pouring juice down my throat.

Turns out I was out for five to ten minutes, during which Cory freaked out, called 911, and the dentist, finally realizing I was having issues with the anesthesia. The dentist said something about all the carbon dioxide rising to my head because I was sitting up, and it made me pass out. It was so scary, because towards the end, I could hear Cory talking to me, and the operator, but I couldn't move or respond. At that point I started to hyperventilate. According to the dentist that was good, because my body was regulating its oxygen levels.

For the next few hours, I was light-headed and very weak. Finally, right before Mom brought Moose home, I was feeling better. So apparently I have a problem with anesthesia.

I tried to be so good about taking my pain medicine, and following the rules about not spitting or sucking too much. I stayed home on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I went back to work on Thursday, and with all the talking I did with my friends and co-workers, my jaw started to swell and turn black and blue. That evening I actually cried my jaw hurt so bad. At that point I realized something was probably wrong.

So Friday morning I went back to the dentist to have them look and see if every was okay. I didn't think it was, because I had a huge hole in the back of my jaw, where you could see my jaw bone through it.

The dentist diagnosed me with a dry socket, which is very common. The nurse set me up with a packing that she put in the "hole" that had medicine and cloves in it. I could not imagine as she was stuffing it in, that it would make me feel better, but somehow it did.

I'm feeling much better now. When I first had my pain meds filled I was shocked to see I had refills on the pain meds, I kind of scoffed and thought, who would have to have these refilled? I never us all them when I'm sick!

So I had to have them refilled on Friday too of course. I am happy to report though, that with the new packing for my dry socket, I am down to one Vicodin, instead of two. That was an accomplishment too.

So I'm feeling much better, to my family's relief, I'm sure. Cory has been single-parenting all week! Special thanks to everyone who's had a help in my recovery!