Sunday, March 16, 2008

Domestic Goddess Tip-Week #5

I actually haven't been to the grocery today, Cory and I attended a housewarming party for some new friends of ours, Andrew and Lauren. They were super-nice and we had a great time, plus I made two new friends! Looking forward to pursuing that friendship, it is so much easier when both Cory and I have a friend to talk to, if you know what I mean!

So-due to the party, M&D graciously kept Moose overnight, which meant Cory and I slept in like dogs, rolled through Panera for bagels 'round 11, and just got home from the mall. And we haven't made time for the grocery yet. I think we'll have to do it during the week unfortunately, which I hate-but we'll see.

I have an interesting tip this week, and a lovely new crock pot meal that was DELICIOUS.

Three weeks ago, I bought cheapo store-brand dishwashing soap for my kitchen, and a mongo-size container of antibacterial hand soap. I had received beautiful hand-painted glass containers to display on my sink that could be filled with anything-be it the exorbitantly over-priced Williams Sinoma hand soap, or Meijer brand hand soap.

Who would know if it was in another container? You won't tell anyone will you? I didn't think so-check it out:

I have a great new St. Patrick's Day recipe to share. I made it this week in the crock pot, because corned beef brisket was on sale at Meijer last week. This recipe was inspired by friend Charing's recipe, and pulled from my magazine All You.

Corned Beef and Cabbage
1.5 lb. small red potatoes or 4-5 Yukon Gold potatoes peeled, chopped into cubes
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 corned beef brisket with seasoning packet
2 tsp. ground cloves
1 small onion, chopped
2/3 package baby carrots
1 small white cabbage, chopped into small wedges

Arrange potatoes, onion, and garlic on bottom of slow cooker. Place corned beef on top of the potatoes, and sprinkle with seasoning packet. Sprinkle ground cloves over beef. Add enough water to cover beef, cover and cook on low until tender, all day, 7 to 8 hours.

When done, transfer meat to cutting board, and cover up with foil. Scoop out potatoes, and put in large bowl, and also cover them with foil to keep warm. Pour left-over water from crock pot into large pot on stove. (or scoop it out using a glass like I did) Add carrots and cabbage to pot, turn heat to med-high, and cook until veggies are tender, about 30 minutes.

While veggies are cooking, slice beef across the grain (that is important, or it may fall apart) and serve with potatoes, carrots, and cabbage on one platter.

This was so extremely yummy, I can see myself making it more often than just on St. Patrick's day! Moose and Cory loved it, and both asked for seconds and thirds, and we still had enough left over for two lunches, which heated up very well in the microwave. This would be complemented very well with a crusty French loaf.