Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A TV Kind of Family

I have never had a problem with Moose watching television.

Mainly because I don't have a problem with myself watching television. My family is a movie/TV watching-quoting-loving kind of family. We quote everything from Aliens to Multiplicity.

"Did you bring me a monkey?"
"Nuke it from the air... it's the only way to be sure"

And my whole family is like that. I tried to tell Cory that when we first met but I don't think he really realized it until my Dad somehow worked in "if it bleeds, we can kill it" into the first dinner conversation that we ever had together.

Needless to say, cultivating my son's love for the Star Wars and the like, has never been in question.

I remember when he was an infant, I saw an expose on Moms who stuck their kids in front of TV, and how horrible it was. I just didn't agree.

When Moose was just a few months old I went out and bought the Baby Einstein videos for him. He LOVED THEM. They were specifically made for his age group, with shiny things, mobiles, and toys moving across the screen. I really feel like they were educational.

I am only bringing this up now, because Moose has a recent fascination with Blue's Clues. This is a recent thing. Up until now, he has only chosen to watch Baby Einstein. The older versions of B.E. include lessons on words, colors and shapes.

We don't own any videos of Blue's Clues yet, I'm sure we will in the future, but I have to say they are educational as well! They all have an underlying lesson, be it sounds, shapes, or artwork. Moose has even started asking for it specifically. "boo coos Mommy! boo coos!"

Sometimes I sit and watch it with him, so I can smell his head and nuzzle his neck. Other times I use it as a break to make dinner, or God-forbid... go pee by myself.

A lot of people have an opinion about letting kids under two watch TV. I must say that I am for it. And I think Moose is too.