Friday, July 13, 2007

Questions About Life At (Almost) 30

My mom just wrote a very interesting post based on an article she read in O Magazine called "You're Middle-Aged But Are You Done? Discuss." She wrote a series of answers to the questions that they asked a group of middle-aged women. She took a good look at her life and wrote some very interesting answers, and inspired her readers to answer the questions as well. So-even though I'm not middle aged, I still think I can play the game.

1. When you were 18, what did you imagine your future would look like? How close does your life today come to that vision?

When I was 18, I was in college with a major in graphic design, I had plans to marry someday, but I honestly didn't know if I wanted kids or not. It's no secret that Moose was a happy surprise to our mild-mannered life. But I would not want to change all the mayhem for anything, he's the best thing to happen to Cory and I.


2. What is the one piece of advice you wish you'd been given as a young person?

Stop trying to plan everything! It would have been useless though, I'm a big-time planner. I actually make myself sick sometimes, planning to the hilt, making lists and going over and over something until I think it's perfect.


3. What was the best money you ever spent?

I don't know if I have spent it yet. Right now, our beautiful home is the best thing we've bought together.


4. What was your biggest financial mistake - the complete waste of money that haunts you to this day?

When I was younger I wish I could have taken some sort of financial class or something, I still don't balance my check book correctly according to my husband.



5. Is sex with your husband a pleasure to savor or just one more item to check off your to-do list? If the latter, when did that change take place - and do you actually care?

Uh, both my Mom and my MIL read my blog, so I'll just say that it's a fabulous pleasure that we make time for.



6. What has been the best surprise about married life? And the worst?

I'm not really sure. I think one of the good surprises is that Cory has become my best friend in some aspects. We can't wait to tell each other good news or bad, juicy gossip, or even just about our days. Again, I'm not sure about the worst. I think that it took us a long time to learn how to fight with each other. It's an art, really I guess. I've seen lots of married couples fight, and I've seen what works for some may not work for others. I think that it's taken several years for us to learn how to fight with each other, without any lasting "damage" (if that makes sense).



7. What is the best thing about being a woman? The worst?

I think having a baby is the best thing about being a woman. Having your child grow in your body, getting everything it needs, all from you, is so special. It has to be the best thing. The worst? Uh, the c-section was pretty bad, man. Seriously.


8. At this point in your life, is there a dream you will never get to fulfill? What is it - and what makes you so sure it's out of reach?

I don't have anything that springs to mind as being out of my reach. Everything I want, I go out and get.


These really made me think, and I like that. If I'm still blogging at 30, 35, and on, I'll try to answer these questions to see how my answers have changed.
I know this isn't my typical family update post, but never fear, cute baby pictures are right around the corner;)